For now, amid the current coronavirus pandemic, all potential adoptions will be required to go online to make an appointment to visit our Lonsdale shelter and RSPCA PetVille. Bookings can be made at bit.ly/RSPCA-adopt .
Choose the adoption option and help a dog in need
Dogs. They can be your exercise partner or your couch buddy. More than anything, they can become a loyal companion and a lifelong member of your family, bringing endless joy to your life.
By adopting a dog or puppy from RSPCA, you’re giving an animal in need a second chance at life. And your new furry best friend will reward you with devotion, unconditional love and joy.
As an added benefit, all dogs and puppies available for adoption from RSPCA South Australia are desexed, vaccinated, microchipped and vet checked. What’s more, all canines adopted from us get their first RSPCA Dog Training class completely FREE – helping you be a responsible pet owner right from day one.
Whether you’ve had a dog your whole life or are looking to bring one into your family for the first time, please weigh up the factors below carefully when making the decision to adopt.
Before adopting a dog, ask yourself:
- Am I over 18?
- Am I in a financial position to meet the ongoing costs associated with caring for a dog?
- Do I have the environment to ensure a dog is safe and secure at all times?
- Does my current lifestyle allow me quality time to exercise, play and spend time with a dog?
- Am I committed to caring for a dog its whole life, which for some breeds can be 15 years or more?
- Am I prepared to use only force-free training? (Find out more about why this is so important via our Lead by Example campaign page.)
What will you need for your dog?
- Collar and ID tag
- Dog lead and harness
- Water and food bowls
- Dog or puppy food (we recommend Hill’s Pet Nutrition)
- Comfortable bedding
- Dog basket, kennel or sheltered space outdoors
- Balls or squeaky toys for physical stimulation and slow feeders or Kongs for mental stimulation
- Food treats
- Pooper scooper
- Grooming and cleaning products
- Regular flea, tick and worm control products
All of these items can be purchased at our shelters, with sale proceeds helping animals in need.
Training classes are also a good idea – and don’t forget, when adopting from us, your dog or puppy will get their first RSPCA Dog Training class completely FREE.