For now, amid the current coronavirus pandemic, all potential adoptions will be required to go online to make an appointment to visit our Lonsdale shelter and RSPCA PetVille. Bookings can be made at bit.ly/RSPCA-adopt .
Register your interest in adopting an equine from RSPCA
Horses, ponies and donkeys make amazing companions, but caring for all their needs is vital in ensuring they live an enriched and healthy life.
We occasionally offer equines for adoption as both companions and pets. You’ll need to provide a suitable property and containment facilities for the type and number of equines you’re looking to adopt. You’ll also need to have the capacity to handle equines, and have access to equipment to safely and legally transport them to your property.
What to consider before adopting a horse, pony or donkey
Equine ownership is often hard work, can involve considerable ongoing expenses and requires you to perform daily chores for the life of the equine. While the reward for this hard work is a wonderful relationship with a beautiful creature, it is wise to consider your capacity to properly care for an equine before adopting.
All equines need:
- Ready access to fresh water and good-quality feed.
- Social contact with other equines (as herd animals, equines should never be kept alone).
- Clean, spacious and properly fenced paddocks, with shelter to provide protection from weather.
- Regular exercise and freedom of movement to stand, stretch and lie down.
- Regular worming and check ups from a veterinarian, farrier and equine dentist.
Ready to apply for adoption? Complete our application form below