Dogs. They can be your exercise partner or your couch buddy. More than anything, they can become a loyal companion and a lifelong member of your family.
A pet dog is a four-legged friend that can bring endless joy to your life. Whether you have had a dog your whole life, or are looking to bring one into your family for the first time, this page will provide you with useful information on what is involved.
Why adopt someone special from RSPCA South Australia?
By choosing the adoption option you are giving an animal an opportunity for a second chance. By adopting a dog or puppy from RSPCA South Australia you can change a life forever. And they will change yours too, with devotion, unconditional love and joy.
All dogs and puppies available for adoption from RSPCA South Australia are vet-checked, vaccinated, microchipped and desexed. All you will have to do is register them with your local council and your new dog will be life ready. When purchasing a dog or puppy from pet shop or breeder, new owners must often organise all of this themselves at their own expense.
What to consider before adopting someone special
Dog ownership is a rewarding experience that promotes healthier living and brings great enjoyment to people’s lives. It also brings with it a level of responsibility and commitment to ensure all the physical and emotional needs of the dog are met. Dog ownership may not be for everyone. We ask people to carefully consider a number of factors.
If you are thinking of adopting a dog, ask yourself:
• Am I over 18?
• Am I in a financial position to meet the ongoing costs associated with caring for a dog?
• Do I have the environment to ensure a dog is safe and secure at all times?
• Does my current lifestyle allow me quality time to exercise, play and spend time with a dog?
• Am I committed to care for a dog its whole life, which for some breeds can be around 15 years?
What will I need?
Here is a list of the basic items you will need as a new dog owner:
• Collar and ID tag
• Dog lead & harness
• Water and food bowls
• Dog or puppy food (RSPCA recommends Hill’s Pet Nutrition)
• Comfortable bedding
• Dog basket, kennel or sheltered space outdoors
• Balls or squeaky toys for physical stimulation and slow feeders or Kong’s for mental stimulation
• Food treats
• Pooper scooper
• Grooming and cleaning products
• Flea, Tick and Worm control products
All of these items can be purchased from our Lonsdale shelter, with sale proceeds helping RSPCA South Australia care for animals in need.
Force Free Training Methods
RSPCA South Australia promotes the use of Force-Free dog training methods. Click here for a list of South Australian Force Free Trainers and their details.
Dogs Available for Adoption