As those who have had the experience will tell you, owning a cat can be incredibly rewarding. They are naturally inquisitive and affectionate animals that make wonderful pets. Our relationship with felines has evolved over centuries leading us to a better understanding of their day to day needs.
As with all pets, there is a degree of responsibility associated with cat ownership. It is essential you consider a number of factors before adopting a cat or kitten.
Why adopt someone special from RSPCA South Australia?
By choosing the adoption option you are giving an animal an opportunity for a second chance. By adopting a cat or kitten from RSPCA South Australia, you can change a life forever. And they will change yours too with devotion, unconditional love and joy.
All cats and kittens available for adoption from RSPCA South Australia are vet-checked, vaccinated, microchipped and desexed. When purchasing a cat or kitten from a pet shop or breeder, new owners must often organise all of this themselves at their own expense.
What to consider before adopting someone special
Cat ownership is a rewarding experience that promotes healthier living and brings great enjoyment to people’s lives. It also brings with it a level of responsibility and commitment to ensure all the physical and emotional needs of the cat are met. Cat ownership may not be for everyone and we ask people to carefully consider a number of factors.
If you are thinking of adopting a cat, ask yourself:
• Am I over 18?
• Am I in a financial position to meet the ongoing costs associated with caring for a cat?
• Do I have the environment to ensure a cat is safe and secure at all times?
• Does my current lifestyle allow me to spend quality time with a cat?
• Am I committed to care for a cat its whole life?
What will I need?
• Collar and ID tag
• Water and food bowls
• Kitten, adult or senior cat food (RSPCA recommends Hill’s Pet Nutrition)
• Litter tray, litter and scooper
• Comfortable bedding
• Scratching post
• Toys and balls for physical stimulation
• Grooming and cleaning products
• Worm and Flea control products
All of these items can be purchased from our Lonsdale shelter, with sale proceeds helping RSPCA South Australia care for animals in need.