The South Australian body of the RSPCA was formed in 1875 to protect innocent animals against cruelty and provide treatment and care for thousands of sick, injured and abandoned animals.
To be the leading South Australian authority that strives for excellence in the standards of care and protection of all animals.
RSPCA South Australia is a community based charity. Our purpose is to:
- Prevent suffering and cruelty to all animals
- Continually and actively promote their care
- Enforce animal welfare legislation in South Australia
- Improve animal welfare legislation in South Australia
- Provide high quality rescue and welfare services
- Raise awareness and lead public debate
Our work is guided by the Five Freedoms for Animals:
- Freedom from hunger and thirst
- Freedom from discomfort
- Freedom from pain, injury or disease
- Freedom to express normal behaviour
- Freedom from fear and distress